When Microsoft Outlook 2010 (or 2007) is connected to an exchange server it prompts for a username and password. Outlook will not connect when the username and password is entered in manually.
Outlook usually authenticates automatically.
This usually happens when Microsoft Windows has an old password stored in the password vault.
For Windows 7, to remove the saved password for the server:
- Click on the Windows ‘Start’ button
- Select ‘Control Panel’
- Select ‘User Accounts’
- Click on the ‘Manage your credentials’ option at the left of the window
- Look an entry for your mail server (likely to be under ‘generic credentials’)
- Click on the ‘Remove from Vault’ option for the stored password.
- Close Outlook and re-open to confirm it has cleared the old password