HandBrake is a free tool that’s available for Windows, Mac OS and Ubuntu that allows you to take a video in various formats and convert it to an MP4.
The steps below show how to rotate the video being processed. Before beginning, you need to:
- Download and install HandBrake
- Open HandBrake
- Use the ‘Source’ button to select the video you want to rotate or flip
- Use the ‘Browse’ button under ‘Destination’ to select where the converted file will be saved.
- Open the ‘Video’ tab
- We’ll be working with the ‘Extra Options’ setting.
- Once you have the required command entered, click ‘Start’ to begin.
Rotate 90 degrees clockwise
To rotate 90 degrees clockwise, enter the following command into the ‘Extra Options’ setting:
Rotate 90 degrees anti-clockwise
To rotate 90 degrees anti-clockwise, enter the following command into the ‘Extra Options’ setting:
Rotate 180 degrees (upside down)
To rotate 180 degrees so that the video is upside down, enter the following command into the ‘Extra Options’ setting:
The official HandBrake documentation has more detail on what other options are available.
1 : x flip 2 : y flip 3 : 180 degrees rotate (also the DEFAULT) 4 : 90 degrees rotate (clockwise) 5 : 90 degrees rotate + y flip 6 : 270 degrees rotate + y flip 7 : 270 degrees rotate