Since Joomla 2.5 there has been an option to rename the default ‘admin’ account, however in some instances people have continued to use the same ‘admin’ user name – providing brute force hackers half the information they need to hack the website.
To change the ‘admin’ user name, or any Joomla user name:
- Log into your Joomla admin console
- Hover over the ‘Users’ menu and click on ‘User Manager’
- Here you will see a list of all your user accounts
- Click on ‘administrator’
- Change the value for ‘Login Name’ to something you will remember – but not ‘admin’ or ‘administrator’ – or anything else someone can easily guess, such as ‘god’
- Click ‘Save and close’ to save the changes.