By Default Microsoft Office 2010 will save all sent emails into the primary mailbox ‘sent items’ folder, even when another email account is used in the ‘From’ field.
To change this behaviour and to make emails sent from a shared mailbox go into the shared mailboxes’ sent items folder you can install a Microsoft patch and enable the feature by changing a registry setting.
The following process details how to configure Outlook 2010 so emails sent from a shared mailbox will be saved into the shared mailbox ‘Sent Items’ folder.
To work, it requires:
- The user to have full access to the shared mailbox
- The user to have access to send from the shared mailbox
- Outlook to have the shared mailbox added as an additional mailbox
How to automatically save sent items in shared mailbox
- The user needs to be logged onto the computer
- Outlook needs to be closed
- Download Outlook 2010 hotfix KB2459115 – http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2459115
- Open the Registry editor:
- Click on the Windows Start menu
- Type in regedit
- Press ENTER on the keyboard
- If prompted for the password enter in the password for the user account currently logged on
- Note: This is required because the registry setting needs to be saved to the users ‘current user’ section of the registry
- Navigate to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Preferences
- Create a new DWORD with the the name of DelegateSentItemsStyle and value of 1