Please note: Deploying WSUS on a dedicated server is preferable, but it can also be deployed on a server that is running other tasks.
The following items are required before you can begin the WSUS 3.0 installation:
- Windows Server 2003 SP1/SP2 or Windows Server 2008
- Internet Information Services (IIS)
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
- Windows Internal Database role or SQL Server 2005 installed locally or on a remote server
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 or greater
Installing WSUS on a Windows Server 2008 Server
- Launch Server Manager
- In the Roles Summary pane, select Add Roles to start the wizard
- Click Next
- Select Windows Server Update Services, and click Next
- The Add Role Services and Features Required for Windows Server Update Services window prompts for additional components to install, if necessary. Required components are
- the Web Server (IIS) web server and management tools,
- the Windows Process Activation Service Process Model,
- and the .NET environment.
- Click Add Required Role Services to continue.
- Click Next
- Read the Introduction to Web Server (IIS) overview, and click Next
- Click Next to select the default role services to install for Web Server (IIS)
- Read the Introduction to Windows Server Update Services overview, and click Next
- Read the summary of installation selections, and click Install
- Server Manager shows “Searching for Updates” and “Downloading” while it connects to the Microsoft download site and downloads the most recent version of WSUS. It also installs Web Services (IIS) and the Windows Process Activation Service, if needed.
- The Windows Server Update Services Setup Wizard displays during the installation progress. Click Next
- Read and accept the license agreement, and click Next
- If prompted that Report Viewer 2005 is not installed, click Next to continue (some reports will be unavailable without this installed)
- Check the Store Updates Locally check box, and enter a location in which to store
them. This location must be large enough to hold a large number of downloadable patches. Click Next to continue
- Select ‘Install the Windows Internal Database on This Computer’ or Use an Existing
Database Server on a Remote Computer if you want to use an external SQL server
- Select to Use the Existing IIS Web Site. Click Next to continue
- Click Next after reviewing the settings on the Ready to Install page
- The installation completes in Server Manager and, after the Finish button is clicked, the WSUS Configuration Wizard is displayed. Read the information and click Next
- Click Next to join the Microsoft Update Improvement Program
- Select Synchronize from Microsoft Update, and click Next
- Configure your proxy server settings, if necessary, and click Next
- Click Start Connecting to save settings and download update information. This might take several minutes. Click Next
- Select the update language, and click Next
- Select the products for which you want updates, and click Next
- Select the classifications of updates you want to download, and click Next
- Configure the schedule that you want WSUS to synchronize with the Microsoft Update servers or select Synchronize Manually. Click Next
- Ensure that Begin Initial Synchronization is selected, and click Finish
- Review the installation results, click Close, and close Server Manager.
WSUS 3.0 is now installed on the server. It as accessed through the WSUS MMC which can be accessed from the Administrative Tools list.