The Playstation 3 only supports hard coded subtitles. So if you’ve got an AVI video file and a separate subtitle file (srt idx or sub file) you’ll need to create a new video with the subtitles hard coded.
The following steps detail how to do this.
- Make sure that your subtitle file is in the same folder as your video file and that they have the same file name
- Download AVIAddXSubs – Download Page
- Extract the files
- Run ‘AVIAddXSubs’
- Select the video file and click ‘Start’
- The process takes about a minute. When finished you will have a new video file in the folder
- Transfer the file to your playstation 3. To turn on the subtitles press triangle whilst playing the video and select the subtitles option.