So you’ve got a PS3 and a nice high definition MKV movie file and the PlayStation won’t list or play it?
Unfortunately the PlayStation 3 XMB does not support MKV video files -your only option is to convert it to something else.
To do this, you can use the mvk2vob application – http://www.mkv2vob.com
It’s a crude work around and will result in a larger file with less quality – but it’s a workable option.
How to convert a MKV for playing on a PlayStation 3:
- Download and install the latest version of mkv2vob from http://www.mkv2vob.com/showthread.php?tid=1
- Open the mkv2vob from the start menu
- Under ‘Source File’ browse to the file you need to convert and open it
- Click on the ‘Add File’
- The application will start converting the video file to an mpg
- Transfer the mpg to your PS3 and play away.