The following steps detail how to create an Windows 10 install USB drive.
This can be used if your computer did not come with any install media, you did the ‘free upgrade’ to Windows 10 or you want to do a fresh install/upgrade.
Please note: you will need a USB drive of at least 3 GB. The USB drive will be reformatted and all contents deleted.
- Find a USB drive of at least 3 GB, plug it into your computer and ensure there’s nothing on there you want to keep – the drive will be erased to create the install drive.
- Go to the offical Microsoft website here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10
- Scroll down to ‘Need to create a USB, DVD or ISO?’ and click on ‘Download tool now’
- Once downloaded, run the Media Creation Tool (MediaCreationTool.exe)
- Select ‘Create installation media for another PC’ and click ‘Next’
- Choose the language, edition and architecture you require and click ‘Next’
- Then choose ‘USB flash drive’ and click ‘Next’
- Select the drive from the list – if your USB drive does not appear, check that the drive is big enough, that is is accessible from ‘This PC’ (previously known as ‘My Computer’ or ‘Computer’), or try another brand USB drive. Click ‘Next’ to continue.
- The tool will now begin downloading the install files for your selected Windows 10 version and will automatically create the install USB drive.
- When finished the tool will display ‘Your USB flash drive is ready’.
- Click ‘Finish’ to close the tool.