By default in Ubuntu 16.04, when the printscreen key is pressed on the keyboard the gnome-screenshot window loads – which gives you the option to either copy to the clipboard or save as a picture.
The steps below show how to make the printscreen key automatically copy to the clipboard.
- Click on the ‘System Settings’ icon in the launcher
- Click on the ‘Keyboard’ icon
- Click on the ‘Shortcuts’ tab at the top of the window
- In the left hand menu, click on ‘Screenshots’
- In the list of options, select ‘Copy a screenshot to the clipboard’ then press the printscreen (PrtScr) button on the keyboard
- Click ‘Reassign’ to confirm the changes