When Microsoft Word 2007 refuses to spell check it’s usually because it’s been disabled for the selected language in the particular document.
When this is happening for all new documents on a computer you will need to make the change to the normal.dot file or allow Word to recreate the normal.dot file.
Some templates have this option enabled by design to hide the red or green underlines for words that aren’t in the default dictionary. This can result in spelling and grammar mistakes being released in the final document.
To re-enable spell checking:
- Open the Word document which is having the spell check issues
- Select all the text by pressing Ctrl + A on the keyboard
- Select the Review tab at the top of the page
- Click on the Set Language button
- Ensure that ‘English (Australia)’ is selected and the ‘do not check spelling or grammar’ option is not selected
- Click OK to save the settings to the document